(information correct at date of publishing)
There are four points to bear in mind with the current supermarket shopping delivery services offered in Edinburgh:
- There are minimum basket spends
- Delivery charges are additional to the minimum spend in most cases.
- Delivery charges vary depending on the day and time of delivery selected.
- The minimum spend amount usually refers to the total AFTER applying vouchers, gift tokens, coupons, etc.
A list of the Supermarket charges has been compiled to allow you to compare them:
- Iceland minimum spend £35 no delivery fee, including next day delivery.
- Co-op minimum spend £15.00 and delivery costs from £0.99 – £1.99
- Morrisons minimum spend £40.00, plus delivery charges £0.99-£6.90
- Tesco minimum spend £40. If lower than £40.00, an additional £4.00 (on top of the delivery fee) is applied. Delivery is £4.50
- Asda minimum spend £40. If lower than £40.00, an additional £3.00 (on top of the delivery fee) is applied.Delivery charges of £1-£6.50
- Sainsburys minimum spend £100 without additional fee or £25 with additional fee of up to £7.00 (for a basket value of between £25.00 to £99.99)
- Waitrose minimum spend £40 and delivery is free
A few local businesses have also been mentioned and you can compare the charges with the Supermarkets:
- Charles Stamper Fruit and Vegetables (wholesaler providing home deliveries) minimum spend £20, no delivery fee. Can also deliver a small range of pasta, sauces, bread, tins of soup, and a few other groceries
- Armstrongs of Stockbridge (fishmonger) minimum spend £10 (for free delivery). A delivery charge will apply for orders under £10
- Saunderson’s Butchers minimum spend £15.00. £2.50 delivery fee for orders under £15.00
- McQueens Dairies (doorstep milk deliveries, in glass bottles) no minimum spend, deliveries are regular, once or twice per week, weekly payment taken automatically. Cancellations, changes, additional items (eggs, orange juice, etc) are made by customers by logging in online. They can’t deliver to tenements or secure blocks of flats.
Some local suppliers of treats, artisan and food gifts (the expensive stuff!):
A long list of Edinburgh specialist food and grocery shops which are delivering during COVID restrictions (the above-named local shops are also on this list):
- Some have websites from which you can order online, some you call to make an order.
Note: this Edinburgh Lockdown Economy list has been live for a while, so some of the outlets may have changed their delivery offer. Sadly, one or two are no longer in business.