Tap into IT updates our Things to do at home page on a regular basis, so why not bookmark it and re-visit it soon.
Have you “Liked” our Facebook page as we have been posting a few useful items there too?
Meanwhile, to reveal online links that may be of interest to you, click on the “+” sign to expand each section below.
Mindfulness, Meditation & Mental Health:
Joe Wicks aka The Body Coach:
- 10 minute home workout for seniors
- 10 minute Full body work out for seniors
- Full body work out for seniors HIIT
- 10 minute home chair work out for seniors
- 10 minute chair based work out
- 15 minute low impact work out
Diana Moran aka The Green Goddess is back:
Sunshine Delos Santos, Pilates Instructor:
- The Royal Academy for Dance ran a block of weekly online Silver Swan Ballet classes. The 8 week course can be accessed here.
Audio Drama: Leithers One Family adaptation from Citadel Arts Group
- – Betrayal
- – The Preceptory
- – The Ships
- – Unwelcome Visitor
- – The Gibbet
- – The Races
- – The Highlanders
- – The Fishwives
- – The Bank
- – The Aliens
- – The Little Pearl
- Join a virtual choir – via a Facebook Group
- Bird Song Opera – the Magic Flute “Papageno/Papagena” Duet
- Les Miserables – BBC adaptation on iPlayer
Virtual Tours of Museums / Galleries around the world
- Louvre, Paris
- Guggenheim Museum, New York
- British Museum, London
- Musée d’Orsay, Paris
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Seoul
- Pergamon Museum, Berlin
- Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam
- The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence
- MASP, São Paulo
- National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
- Drive & Listen – listen to local radio while virtually driving through foreign cities. It’s quite fun and more relaxing than actually driving on the continent!
- If you don’t have a smart TV or get the paper delivered you can get the tv schedule online
Commit to learning a new language with Duolingo. There are 35 languages to choose from including Gaelic, Welsh and Irish! There are no excuses now – it’s FREE!
You can download the App:
Local History / Interest / Entertainment:
- https://www.scran.ac.uk (free access until March 2021)
- Books: Project Gutenberg is the oldest digital library in the world and the top 100 downloads can be viewed here. Select the book that you want to read, then select the format that you want to read it on and enjoy…
- Magazines: can be viewed online via Edinburgh Libraries if you have a library card
- Library books: can also be viewed online if you have a library card
- Newish podcast: On the Road with Penguin Classics
- Interesting items from yesteryear on the BBC Archive Facebook page – worth a look!
- Quiz – 10 questions every hour!
- Jane Perrone’s Podcasts feature lots of information about Houseplants – helpful as you are probably shielding at the moment. Nothing fancy is required to listen to these podcasts…just a gadget!
- Free temporary home access to Findmypast via Edinburgh Library. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org with your library card number and they’ll let you know how to login from home.
- Here’s how to build a model railway
- Pixel Federation’s – Train Station FREE build your own railway 🚃 game
- Footage of the first diesel-electric train journey from Glasgow to Euston – from the BBC archive
- Enjoy a virtual tour of the Railway line in Yorkshire – Watercress …
- Nature Relaxation Drone films of idyllic destinations – worth a look!
- The Innocent Big Knit – knit tiny hats to raise funds for charity
- Water bottle string cover – quite cool!
- Make your own 😷 mask: remember it is not a substitute for good hygiene – keep washing your hands 🤲
- Johanna Basford – free colouring downloads
- Supercook: Add the ingredients that you have and Supercook will give you a list of recipes (really for when your cupboard is getting bare!)
- Quick Banana ice cream – recipe from BBC Good Food.
- Learn to play Chess
- Play online Scrabble with a friend once you have both registered
- https://nerdschalk.com/best-zoom-games/ (Zoom games for all ages)
- Hangman using the Zoom Whiteboard
- Pictionary using the Zoom Whiteboard
- Quantum Magic Lab – Learn 30 tricks over the next 30 days
Watch various FREE NOT live
- Replay The Masters 2017
- Wimbledon YouTube channel with lots of clips available for Wimbledon fans
Basic DIY/ IT
- B&Q Youtube video explaining how to change a plug and a fuse
- Cut men’s hair using clippers and scissors
Skype sound issues
- Android issues with Skype volume – try this to fix
- Read our How to Set up a Meeting on Zoom from a WINDOWS based gadget (PDF 1MB)
Web of the Week
- A resource for that you can use to explore interesting, uplifting and inspiring stories. And a bit of IT help too…Check it out
Looking through Windows
- A live and random look at the views through other people’s windows throughout the world.
National Entitlement Card
- Apply for a National Entitlement Card if you are 60+ online and save yourself at trip to the library
- Lots of Online Jigsaws to choose from…. Thanks Margaret
- TapIT Christmas Word Search (PDF 111KB)
- TapIT Online Jigsaw Puzzle
- Online Jigsaw Puzzles – new ones added daily!
- Wordle – guess the word!
- If Wordle is too easy, try Quordle – guess 4 words!
- Globle – guess the country!
- Mathle – guess the sum!
- Moviedle – guess the movie!
- Heardle – guess the song!
- BBC Archers quiz
Videos from the TapIT cast:
- A TapIT Christmas Carol
- A TapIT sledge race
- TapIT turning on the Christmas lights
- ElfYourSelf 2019
- Halloween 2020
Other Christmassy things: