Pancake Day is fast approaching – it falls on Tuesday, 25 February 2020 this year.
Pancakes were traditionally made to use up foods like eggs and milk before the fasting season of Lent began.
Pancake Day changes every year but it is always the day preceding Ash Wednesday (the first day of Lent), and always falls in February or March.
Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday is linked to Easter, which falls between March 22 and April 25. This year Easter Sunday falls on April 12.
Anyway, enough of the factual info and more importantly, do you have all the ingredients to hand?
For this recipe, you’ll need:
1 x egg,
125g (4 oz) plain flour,
300 ml (1/2 pint) milk,
pinch of salt
butter for frying
sugar and lemon to serve
- sift the flour and the salt into a bowl
- make a well in centre
- break egg and beat well with a wooden spoon
- gradually beat in milk to make a smooth batter
- heat butter in heavy frying pan – pour off any excess
- pour in batter to thinly coat the base
- cook 1-2 mins until golden brown and toss
- cook other side until golden brown
- transfer pancake to a plate
repeat process until you have 8 pancakes
sprinkle each with sugar and lemon juice and eat!🥞
If you have any other tasty pancake recipes, please share them with us. 😃